Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Raspberry Banana Bread


Three horribly over ripe bananas sitting in my kitchen.  Time to bake! Plus, I told Joe I was going to use them to bake when he wanted to throw them away so then I pretty much HAD to.  :)

I looked on Pinterest and didn't find anything that looked great and then my app kept spitting out errors so I decided I would look up a recipe the old fashioned way- in a cook book.  I rarely use my cookbooks anymore but I really wanted to bake! 

I found a recipe for raspberry banana quick bread in a book I have had for forever (Best of Country Breads) and I about croaked when I saw the amount of sugar and oil in it.  I decided I could alter the recipe and make it at least a little healthier.  Here's what I came up with.

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 over ripe bananas (medium sized), mashed 
3/4 cup agave nectar
1/3 cup water
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups raspberries
1/3 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
Cooking spray

I made this in 4 mini loaf pans but you can also use two 8x4 inch loaf pans.  Spray them with your cooking spray and turn your oven on to 350 degrees. 

In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.  Just a tip- when mixing dry ingredients a whisk works wonderfully! In another bowl mix together the bananas, agave nectar, water, eggs, and vanilla.  Pour your banana mixture into the flour mixture.   Fold in fresh or frozen raspberries and nuts.  

Pour into your pans and bake at 350 degrees- 30-35 minutes for mini loaf pans, 55-60 minutes for 8x4s.  Let them sit for 10-15 minutes in the pan and then remove and let cool.  

I hope Dawson likes these.  I am not usually a huge fan of banana bread in general but the raspberries really make this yummy.  

Mission accomplished! Bananas are gone.  Now I just have to figure out what to do with the rest of my pumpkin! 

1 comment:

  1. I seem to always end up with over ripe bananas :) Banana bread is one of my kids favorites, I bet they would love your recipe!

    ReplyDelete