Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Easy Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Pasta

I don't know how it happens, but we always seem to end up with just a little chicken leftover from one dinner or another.  I always hate to throw it out.  I thought I could use the chicken from earlier in the week (about 1/2 a Cajun seasoned chicken breast) to make some sort of pasta dish.  I'm making Enchilada Pie in a couple of days, so decided I better steer clear of anything Mexican.  Easy Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Pasta is what I came up with, just out of the things in my pantry and freezer! 

Cheesy chicken & broccoli pasta


Ingredients:
1/2 chicken breast, cooked & cubed (think leftovers, I had about 1 cup) 
8 oz pasta, cooked according to package directions (rigatoni, farafalle, elbow mac.. You choose!)
1-10.75 oz can broccoli cheese soup
1/2 cup Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dehydrated onion
1-12 oz bag of frozen broccoli cuts

Directions:

Mix the soup, Greek yogurt, garlic powder, onion, and chicken in a skillet over medium heat until heated through.  Add the broccoli and simmer.  Mix in the pasta and grated cheese until melted.  Eat! Very simple! 

We have put ourselves on a bit of a budget since our air conditioner repair, and so I'm trying really hard to come up with things that are easy to cook, so I will actually do it, and that use up everything.  I'm a huge food hoarder, so we have tons of stuff in our two freezers and our pantry and fridge to use.  My goal is to throw away less food and cook 6 nights out of the week, even if that means just pulling something from the freezer and heating it up.   I've been stock piling frozen meals, although that may just be me nesting :) 

This recipe is particularly nice because I didn't use up any additional meat, just meat that would have gone to waste. We eat meatless one night a week now, unless there's leftovers to incorporate into a dish, like this!  I suppose you could also use canned chicken or rice instead of pasta in this, although my family wouldn't be thrilled with that.   

If you happen to make this, let me know how it turns out! 


No comments:

Post a Comment