Thursday, December 19, 2013

Three GOOD things about my BAD day

What was that children's book called? The horrible no good very bad day? Yeah, I had one of those.

Unfortunately, Dawson and I were up for about 3 hours in the middle of the night last night together.  This is really not typical of him, but it was reminiscent of the days before he was a year old where he would do ANYTHING to stay awake, even though clearly he is tired.  Of course, that made today just peachy! (I hope you sensed that sarcasm..)

Anyhow, I have a tendency to ruminate on the bad things that happened during my day and not focus so much on what did go right.  When I was a little girl, my mom would ask me to tell her 3 things that went well during my day.  This tool didn't really work for me as a kid, mostly because I didn't understand the purpose.  

I need to be using this strategy more.  I think it would help my depression to focus on the good.  I know I don't do that enough.  I have many things to be thankful for and even on a bad day, things can always be worse.  

Three things that went well today:

1. My coffee tasted good, and I got to drink it all before it got cold (not usually the case)

2. Joe got his bonus and found out he got a raise at work. 

3. I got a few hours to myself because Dawson DID nap.  He hasn't been doing that lately. 

I am going to try to remind myself to do this tomorrow night.  It isn't hard to find three good things about my day, really!

No comments:

Post a Comment