Friday, June 27, 2014

31 weeks and the official GD diagnosis

Pregnant with gestational diabetes

31 weeks and officially a gestational diabetic.. Again.  


I think I mentioned before that my OB practice when I had Dawson was completely incompetent. They realized at nearly 36 weeks pregnant that I hadn't passed my 1 hour glucose test and put me through the hell of the 3 hour glucose test at 37 weeks (seems a bit late, no?) and then when I failed that, labeled me a gestational diabetic but never treated me OR Dawson like we had it.  Anyway, I didn't really know what it was like to go through the last couple of months being treated.   As a result, this is all new and scary.. but I was expecting it.. Well, some of it.  

I've been busting my ass to keep my numbers after breakfast, lunch, and dinner under control.  This week I finally figured out the key to my fasting number being good was to skip a snack at night and have a scoop of peanut butter instead.  But my meal numbers were just not coming down, no matter what.

 I was sent to the moderate/high risk OB today and also to have a growth ultrasound to check to see how this has all been on Halle.   First, she's fine.  She's about 3 pounds 14 ounces which is the 44th percentile.  Her kidneys have nearly resolved the dilation, but it looks as if her choroid plexus cysts are still there.  There was no comment on that from the doctor.  Fluid looks good, she has hair, she's head down, and she's very, very wiggly!  I've been put on Glyburide twice a day to control my sugars and I'll have to go for weekly appointments to monitor her and my numbers.  If the medication works, I can continue to see my midwife for this.  Huge relief.  I spent an hour in therapy on Wednesday crying because I knew this was all coming and I was scared to switch doctors.  

Halle will be born before 39 weeks or I'll be induced.  I honestly don't care at this point.  I feel like I can't have any expectations about this pregnancy because not much has been easy about it.  

Next appointment is July 3rd.  By then we will know if the meds are working! 

How far along? 31 weeks 3 days pregnant.. Baby is the size of a pineapple! 


Weight gain? My weight at the midwife Wednesday was +15 lbs! Still gaining! But doctor says this is a great weight gain thus far.  

Belly button? Its in when I sit in certain positions but mostly poking out.  So weird.  

Wedding rings on or off? Took them off this week.. Had a hard time getting them off, I was a little panicked! Wearing them on a chain around my neck.  I feel naked. 

Movement? Tons of movement.  She is SO active. I feel like my belly is bruised from the inside out as a result.  

Maternity clothes? Yep.. Already uncomfortable in pants.  Time for some new dresses I think.  

Symptoms? Feeling? My left hip is KILLING me.  There is no comfortable chair or position.   Rib seems to be in a constant muscle cramp lately.. Goes with the new leg, foot, and arm cramps I'm getting on the regular.  My nose is still really messed up. 

Mood? Tired, still.  It's been a stressful week.  I've cried a lot.  Not coping great but I have my therapy appointments scheduled out for a month to help me with some coping strategies.  I can't change what's happening but I can change how I deal and cope with it all. 

Missing? Exercise, baked goods, putting on pants without sitting down.  Climbing the stairs without stopping to catch my breath.  

Looking forward to? 3D ultrasound scheduled for Monday! Very excited!  It was fun to see her moving today but I know it will be much more awesome to see it in something other than 2D :)

Sleep?  I don't even want to talk about sleep.  To say it sucks would be a huge understatement.   This has actually gotten even worse this week.  

Exercise? No, none of that going on.  I took my fitbit off because I was feeling so awful, it seemed pointless.  I will put it back on when my dizziness and nasal congestion let up. (Same this week... Not sure the fitbit will actually go back on) 

Any cravings? Fruit, donuts, cake, panera, and everything "forbidden" basically.  Gestational diabetes is a little like torture sometimes. 

Food aversions? Fried foods.  Anything greasy pretty much.  Vegetables.. Some, anyway.  Eggs.  Pretty sick of lunch meat too. 

Until next week! 


If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment